Thursday, May 19, 2016

Bagel Blessing


It has been a long day, a long week for that matter. Tonight I got home after 6 and had nothing planned for dinner. We decided to walk across the street and go to the little diner in our town. We should have eaten at home, money is tight and it would be better for our budget, but it was getting late, nothing was ready at the house, it was a school night and we had to eat, so we went. We ate pretty economically, no splurges, and left the diner fat and happy.

As we walked through the parking lot I saw a man with a bicycle holding a sign that said he was hungry. He said "good evening" to me and I responded in kind to him. I immediately begin to think that I should give him something, but what I wasn't sure. I knew we couldn't afford to send him back into the diner for dinner, then I thought about what I'd been bringing for lunch, a bagel ham and cheese sandwich. I asked if he'd like one of those and he said that he would really appreciate it. I crossed the street and got to work. My 14 year old son asked if it was for the man across the street and when I told him it was, he asked if he could take it to him. He gathered up a water bottle and a bag and I put in the sandwich and some bananas.

He crossed the street and gave it to the man while I watched. On his way back he gave a big smile and a "thumbs up".  He loved giving as much as I did. That makes my heart so happy.

I pray that I will listen more closely when God speaks to me to be generous toward others. It may be a gift of time, a hug, a smile, a listening ear or a bagel sandwich. I would like to encourage others to find ways to give. It doesn't have to be a big thing, sometimes the smallest of things can make the biggest differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment